Museum of the American Railroad

 
 
Deaccessioned Equipment Minimize

Museum of the American Railroad
Established 1963

MUSEUM COLLECTIONS

DEACCESSIONED EQUIPMENT:
Steam Locomotives
Texas & Pacific Railway
No. 638
2-10-4, L-1b class, “Texas” type
Lima Locomotive Works, Lima, OH
C/N 7310 February, 1928
Donated to the State Fair of Texas December, 1949 and placed on static display at Fair Park.
Fell into disrepair and was subsequently scrapped February, 1955. Pre-dates museum.

New York Central Railroad Company
No. 3001
4 -8 -2, L-3A class, “Mohawk” type
The American Locomotive Company (Alco), Schenectady Works, NY
C/N 69338 Oct, 1940
Retired by New York Central January, 1957. Sold January, 1957 to Texas & Pacific Railway.  Re-worked at Marshall shops to T&P M-2 class appearance, re-numbered to No. 909 (second), then donated to State Fair of Texas April, 1957. Traded by the museum in May, 1984 to Lake Shore Railroad Historical Foundation, Elkhart, IN for Amtrak GG1 No.4906 (ex-PRR 4903).

(Note: The above two steam locomotives were gifts of the Texas & Pacific Railway and were displayed on the grounds of what would later become the “Age of Steam” exhibit of the State Fair of Texas. The collection was subsequently conveyed to the Southwest Railroad Historical Society, a not-for-profit Texas corporation which currently owns and operates what is now known as the Museum of the American Railroad. The New York Central “Mohawk” No. 3001 was a replacement for the T&P “Texas” type No.638 following public outcry over the 638’s scrapping.)

Diesel Locomotives
Econo-Rail Inc., Houston, TX, (Ex-Armco Steel, Houston Works)
No. E-R 10, (Ex Armco 1202)
S-6, 900 HP Diesel-Electric Switcher
American Locomotive Company (Alco), Schenectady Works, NY, 1956
Retired 1990, Donated Sept. 1991, Sold for scrap Sept. 1994

Econo-Rail Inc., Houston, TX
No. PG 13
S-2 Diesel-Electric Switcher, (Rebuilt to cabless booster unit and repowered with 6 cyl.
Cummins Diesel for remote control service with E-R 10, heritage unknown)
American Locomotive Company (Alco), Schenectady Works, NY, ca. 1941
Retired 1990, Donated Sept. 1991, Sold for scrap Sept. 1994

(Note: Econo-Rail Nos. E-R 10 and PG 13 were last used at Proctor & Gamble’s south Dallas plant until the Trinity River flood of 1990. These locomotives were seriously damaged by high water and subsequently retired by Econo-Rail Inc. Both units served as a parts source for the museum and were later sold as scrap to Venture Metals Company of Dallas to raise revenue for other restoration projects.)

Streetcars (Electric)
New Orleans Public Service, Incorporated
No. 919
52 seat streetcar built to 5’2" gauge for use on Canal Street Line, New Orleans, Louisiana.
Perley A. Thomas Car Company, Highpoint, North Carolina, 1923
Last operated May, 1964. Purchased by the museum June, 1964 from New Orleans scrap
dealer. Sold to New Orleans Regional Transit Authority, September, 1985. Rebuilt to
standard gauge, renumbered to 451 for operation on the Waterfront Line.

Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority
No. 3329 (Ex Dallas Railway & Terminal Company 624)
PCC type streetcar, all-steel carbody, double ended with front and rear entry/exit doors.
Pullman-Standard, 1945
Originally owned by DR&T. Last operated in Dallas January, 1956. Purchased by MTA of Boston 1958. Retired 1979. Acquired by the museum April, 1980. Sold for scrap 1990.

Copyright 2013 by Museum of the American Railroad  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement  |  Login  |